Summary: This aioli is great with kofta burgers or as a robust dip for crudite. In concert with my kofta burgers, it was chosen as a Community Pick on Food52.
Yield: about a cup
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 3/4 cup (5 ounces) canola oil
- 1/4 cup minus 1.5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted, coarsely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed, toasted, coarsely ground
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Add the canola oil, a few drops at a time, whisking vigorously. The aioli will soon thicken, and at that point, slowly pour in the rest of the canola oil, whisking mightily all the time. I used a folded dish towel to hold my bowl in place but also put a silicone pot holder on top of the towel for good measure.
Once all the canola oil is incorporated, slowly whisk in the olive oil. Then, whisk in three-quarters of the toasted and ground cumin and coriander. Taste and season with more salt and cumin/coriander as you like.