Summary: I think I like this even better than Version 1, so much in fact that I made a jam with the same flavor combo!
Yield: one 9" pie
- 5 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2 cups stemmed and halved strawberries
- scant 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- zest of 1 orange
- juice of 1/4 an orange
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 good squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into four chunks
- 1 unbaked pie crust and top
- 1 tablespoon demerara or turbinado sugar, optional
Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients together except the butter and pour into an uncooked pie crust (use my recipe, I swear it’s easy and the best). Cut the butter into small chunks and place on fruit mixture.
Roll out a top crust, place on top and sprinkle with the sugar if you're using. Cover the pie with foil.
Bake for 15 minutes. Then remove foil, lower oven temp to 375° and bake 30-40 minutes more. You want the crust edges dark golden brown and the top definitely golden.