Summary: This is a chocolate-lover's dream come true. My Aunt Da (my maternal great-aunt) made hers with a regular pie crust and that is certainly fine to do. But I like this in the cocoa crust I made for it. Because the eggs remain uncooked, it is important to use best-quality ones.
Yield: one 9" pie
- 1 9" baked cocoa pie crust, cooled
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 squares Ghirardelli unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 best-quality (preferably cage-free) large eggs
- 2 cups TruWhip (all-natural Cool Whip), thawed
Make the crust and let it cool.
With a hand or standing mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Stir in the melted, cooled chocolate and then beat in the eggs one at a time (beating 3-4 minutes after each one). Fold in the TruWhip and pour the batter into the pie crust. Cover and put in the fridge for about 2 hours to set.