Summary: I've never been a coleslaw fan, but I do like the idea of thinly sliced veggies in a tangy, creamy dressing. The crisp, crunchy freshness of Granny Smith apples, celery and fennel is infinitely pleasing, especially when dressed with a refreshing aioli infused with celery leaves and fennel fronds. This is a great summer salad; hearty enough to be a simple lunch when paired with some great bread and/or some grilled shrimp, or a terrific start to dinner on the patio.
Yield: serves 4-6
For the salad
- 2 scallions, green and white parts cut into thin rings
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks
- 4 stalks celery, cut on the diagonal, about 1/4" thick
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1/8 cup celery leaves, chopped, for garnish
- 1/8 cup fennel fronds, chopped, for garnish
- 1 lemon wedge
For the dressing
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 + 1/8 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fennel fronds, chopped salt and pepper
Make the dressing first by placing the egg yolk, egg, chopped garlic, lemon juice, cider vinegar, mustard and some salt into a blender or food processor. Blend until combined, and then with the motor running, drizzle in a thin stream the olive and canola oils until incorporated. Add the celery leaves and fennel fronds and blend until well combined. Add salt and pepper to season and more lemon juice if you like. Set the dressing aside.
*IF you are not serving this salad immediately, make the dressing without the garlic at first. Refrigerate and then, just before serving, blend in the chopped garlic.
In a large mixing bowl, put the chopped celery, fennel and apple and squeeze the lemon wedge over. Set the lemon wedge aside and with your hands, toss the celery, fennel, and apple until combined.
Gently stir in 1/3 of the dressing. Taste, check seasoning, and add more dressing if you like. Top with the reserved 1/8 cup celery leaves and 1/8 cup fennel fronds. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. You will have leftover dressing.