Summary: Yet another take on our favorite muffins.
Yield: 12 muffins
- 2½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup unrefined, granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon of ground coriander
- ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- scant ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- zest of two Pixie tangerines, clementines or the like
- juice of one of those little oranges
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup dried cherries, chopped
Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit, and grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coriander, cardamom, and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together the orange zest and juice, butter, egg, buttermilk and applesauce. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture and stir gently to combine. Don't overmix. Fold in the cherries.
Drop batter into all 12 cups of the muffin pan and bake 17 minutes, or until golden and firm.