Summary: I have a dear friend in Chicago and during one visit, she made this for me and my family. At that time, I wasn't a huge beef eater, but nonetheless devoured several helpings of this scrumptious salad that evening and have made it many times since. It's great for a picnic or an easy summer dinner.
Donna served this with steamed, undressed potatoes (fun to use colorful fingerlings), steamed veggies (green beans, etc), fresh tomatoes, couscous, etc as the marinade is tasty and plentiful!
Yield: serves 6-8
- 3-4 avocados, peeled and sliced into 1/2" wedges
- 2 pounds rare roast beef, sliced thin
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- 2 handfuls chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Arrange in a 9x13 casserole dish, a layer of avocado, the beef, and then onion. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, and then repeat, starting with avocado, until everything is layered.
Make the dressing by whisking together the oils, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour it over the beef salad. Cover and marinate in the fridge for several hours.